Thursday, March 28, 2013

It's a piece of (rainbow) cake...

Ever since I can remember, birthdays in my family always include a family dinner, lots of laughter, followed by secret birthday wishing from a candle lit cake at grandma's...and yesterday was no exception as we celebrated my younger, "not-so-little" (she actually towers over me at 5'6"!) sister's 18th birthday :)

I wouldn't consider myself a baker, but I do get very excited experimenting & baking cakes when birthdays come around!  After successfully learning to bake ice cream cakes (after a trial of many, many melted & deflated tries), I thought I'd try something different this time around...a rainbow cake!  I was extremely excited to try this and couldn't think of anyone more perfect to bake it for than my sister!

With a couple boxes of white cake mix, several happy food coloring moments and a few oven batches later (which made our place smell like it was made entirely of cake!)...it all came together to create a wonderful piece of rainbow goodness.  There is something about rainbows and rainbow colored anythings that are just simply magical and smile-inducing :)

Celebrating my sister's birthday was so much fun, but I have to admit the best part was watching her cut the cake and seeing her reaction when she realized what the cake looked like on the inside.  I started doing the most random-est "happy dance" (it probably looked something like a scared, screaming crab running across the beach crossed with the cha cha?!) which took place in the corner of the living room for a few moments haha!

With a day filled with baking, love, laughter & family to celebrate life...a girl couldn't ask for a better way to spend the day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment